The Advanced Fiction workshop aims to help writers who already have a grasp of the basics of writing fiction further perfect and develop their craft. Aspects of fiction writing such as plot, dialogue, character, setting and pace will be featured, along with more advanced topics such as semiotics, allegory and symbolism . These aspects of writing fiction will be explored via collaborative and solo exercises in the workshop.
The editing process, an invaluable skill often overlooked by new writers, will also be explored in this workshop, along with an brief explanation and Q&A session about the submission process in the agent/publisher system. Materials provided include the workshop manual and writing materials.
- Reduce participants’ anxiety about writing and build their confidence, using elements from The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron
- Build on the skills needed to write fiction, including plot, character, setting, voice, perspective and dialogue
- Outline essential information of the agent/ publisher submission process and writers’ other options in the rapidly changing international publishing scene
- Discuss and explore concepts such as allegory, semiotics and symbolism and how they can be used
- Use collaborative learning and micro fiction exercises to improve the participants’ skills and understanding of the various aspects of writing
About the trainer:
Registration is on a first-come-first-served basis and workshop fees must be paid before the workshop. If the minimum number of participants is not met for the class, the organisers will inform all participants about possible postponement and cancellation, two weeks before the workshop date.
Cancellation & Substitution
The workshop can be cancelled or postponed two weeks before the workshop date if the minimum number of participants is not met. Participants will be fully refunded for workshops cancelled by us.
Participants who are unable to attend a workshop they have registered for are to inform us of the reason two weeks before the workshop date. They will be fully refunded in the event of extenuating and mitigating circumstances (E.g. illness, bereavement, accidents) . Those who inform us up to five (5) working days before the workshop date will receive a 50% refund. Participants can also attend another course at the same value within the same year.
Upon registration, you are deemed to have read and understood the cancellation, withdrawal and substitution policy and accept the terms contained therein.