This full-day course is suitable for writers, illustrators and publishers looking to gain some intermediate to advanced knowledge about writing and illustrating children’s picture books and young adult fiction, especially for a market like India. V.Geetha is an author at Tara Books, an independent publisher of picture books for adults and children based in Chennai, South India. Come learn about what goes into creating children’s picture books and young adult fiction books which are popular and thrive in a competitive market.
- a PPT presentation that will address the issues to do with Picture books/YA/Discussion (60 minutes)
- Working with language - that is, following a brief (45 minutes of writing)
- Group sessions - (45 minutes - where peer comments/critique are offered)
- Tips on story-boarding (30 minutes)
- Creating text (60 minutes)
- a PPT presentation on illustrations in picture books/YA/ discussion (60 minutes)
- Illustration Process (60 minutes on different approaches to thinking of illustration with a given piece of text)
- working to a given text (authors and illustrators working together - 60 minutes)
- Summing up the workshop
This workshop is held under the Beyond Words project. Beyond Words in an NAC initiative to support creation and development of children’s picture books and YA fiction across the different media (print to apps/enhanced apps). Following the Beyond Words English and Chinese Picture Books and YA Fiction scheme, we are now launching the Malay and Tamil edition. This workshop is a part of the Beyond Words initiative and is open to all publishers, writers and illustrators.
About the trainer:
Minimum – Maximum Number of Participants: 10 – 30 pax
Registration is on a first-come-first-served basis and workshop fees must be paid before the workshop. If the minimum number of participants is not met for the class, the organisers will inform all participants about possible postponement and cancellation, two weeks before the workshop date.
Cancellation & Substitution
The workshop can be cancelled or postponed two weeks before the workshop date if the minimum number of participants is not met. Participants will be fully refunded for workshops cancelled by us.
Participants who are unable to attend a workshop they have registered for are to inform us of the reason two weeks before the workshop date. They will be fully refunded in the event of extenuating and mitigating circumstances (E.g. illness, bereavement, accidents) . Those who inform us up to five (5) working days before the workshop date will receive a 50% refund. Participants can also attend another course at the same value within the same year.
Upon registration, you are deemed to have read and understood the cancellation, withdrawal and substitution policy and accept the terms contained therein.