This 2-day workshop will explore ways to edit journalistic and academic writing through presentations, practical examples/exercises on writing, editing and critiquing. This hands-on workshop is targeted at beginners at print editing and reporting.
- An introduction to the symbols used in proofing
- The difference between copy editing and proofing.
- Headlines: an important part of content editing.
- American and British journalistic writing styles: differences in spelling, styles used in newswires and newspapers.
- The importance of choosing images to support a story.
- The changing rules of grammar, and instinctual editing versus rule-based editing.
- The difference in language and style between academic and journalistic writing.
- Libel, cultural awareness and sensitivity in journalistic writing.
- Exercises on editing for cultural/political sensitivities.
- The importance of backing up statements, retaining notes, and removing material from stories not backed up by evidence.
- The role of changing and evolving language in today’s world.
- The need to avoid ‘jargon’.
About the trainer:
Registration is on a first-come-first-served basis and workshop fees must be paid before the workshop. If the minimum number of participants is not met for the class, the organisers will inform all participants about possible postponement and cancellation, two weeks before the workshop date.
Cancellation & Substitution
The workshop can be cancelled or postponed two weeks before the workshop date if the minimum number of participants is not met. Participants will be fully refunded for workshops cancelled by us.
Participants who are unable to attend a workshop they have registered for are to inform us of the reason two weeks before the workshop date. They will be fully refunded in the event of extenuating and mitigating circumstances (E.g. illness, bereavement, accidents) . Those who inform us up to five (5) working days before the workshop date will receive a 50% refund. Participants can also attend another course at the same value within the same year.
Upon registration, you are deemed to have read and understood the cancellation, withdrawal and substitution policy and accept the terms contained therein.