Textbooks are often perceived as dry, boring and yet, are essential reading for tens of thousands of students. The trick to writing an engaging and effective textbook is to be informative, comprehensible and comprehensive while imparting a sense of excitement in the subject area.
In this workshop, we’ll look at:
Planning for your textbook
- Understanding the audience and being clear about your approach to the topic
- Structuring the book and looking at approaches in your genre
- Understanding the competition: Analysing what works well and where gaps are
- Fulfilling curriculum requirements and keeping the content broad and wide enough
- Creating effective learning exercises: understanding objectives, exercises, focus issues and case studies
- Effective review, self-assessment, Reading reference sections
- Making it multimodal: Recognise that it’s not just about the information but also the way its conveyed.
Language and production concerns
- Finding the right voice and language level
- Understanding the use of illustration devices: The power of type and pictures.
- Filling in the gaps: Illustrations, extra resources (printed and digital)
- Looking at other platforms: printed vs digital
- Updating information: How current is your material?
About the trainer: Shelley Kenigsberg
Shelley Kenigsberg is a prominent freelance editor, writer and trainer. She runs S K Publishing (working with a range of private and publishing clients) and, since 2009, has presented Editing in Paradise masterclass programs. In 2012, Writing in Paradise began and now, both programs are fun in (as the name suggests) paradisiacal places. This year, Byron Bay, Ibiza, Myanmar and Bali. She is currently involved in training editors, mentoring writers, and editing and writing for trade, corporate, academic and educational, government and private clients.
Shelley is Head of the Macleay Diploma in Book Editing and Publishing and has delivered the course for the past 26 years. She has developed and presented courses for writers centres (Northern Rivers WC, Northern Territory WC, NSW WC, Tasmanian WC, Qld WC); Asia-Pacific Writers and Translators; Societies of Editors, Style Council, Institute of Professional Editors conferences, Distance Education for the Open Learning Conference in Australia; writers festivals in Indonesia (Ubud Writers Festival 2004–16) and language and corporate institutes overseas (Indonesia, Japan and South Africa). Shelley is a founding member of Professional Editors Association (NSW), was President of the NSW Society of Editors from 2001–03, Vice-President in 2004, Chair of the Accreditation Board and active in other national initiatives through the Institute of Professional Editors (IPEd).
Shelley is writing her own book. So she understands how to wear a few hats. The author one is, currently, the worst fitting. This will change.
Kinokuniya Privilege Card Members
Kinokuniya Privilege card members can enjoy 10% off the workshop fee.
Please provide your membership number and workshop title to [email protected] for the discount code before online registration.
Minimum – Maximum Number of Participants: 10 – 30 pax
Registration is on a first-come-first-served basis and workshop fees must be paid before the workshop. If the minimum number of participants is not met for the class, the organisers will inform all participants about possible postponement and cancellation, two weeks before the workshop date.
Cancellation & Substitution
The workshop can be cancelled or postponed two weeks before the workshop date if the minimum number of participants is not met. Participants will be fully refunded for workshops cancelled by us.
Participants who are unable to attend a workshop they have registered for are to inform us of the reason two weeks before the workshop date. They will be fully refunded in the event of extenuating and mitigating circumstances (E.g. illness, bereavement, accidents) . Those who inform us up to five (5) working days before the workshop date will receive a 50% refund. Participants can also attend another course at the same value within the same year.
Upon registration, you are deemed to have read and understood the cancellation, withdrawal and substitution policy and accept the terms contained therein.