The Young Adult (YA) Fiction 101: Fantasy workshop aims to help new writers and aspiring writers get up to speed with the essentials of writing fiction for the young adult market in the fantasy genre. Major building blocks of the craft such as plot, dialogue, character, setting and pace will be explained by the facilitator in a full-day 6.5-hour workshop.
These areas will be actively explored via collaborative and solo exercises that accompany the notes in the workshop manual. The workshop will also introduce different subgenres of fantasy to participants.
The editing process, an invaluable skill often overlooked by new writers, will also be explored in this workshop, along with an explanation of how the submission process works in the agent/publisher system. Materials provided include the workshop manual and writing materials.
- Building confidence: Silencing the inner critic
- Introduction to narrative – what’s it really about?
- Introduction to young adult (YA) fiction and the fantasy genre
- A look at fantasy subgenres
- Voice and perspective – what is it and how do you develop it?
- Setting and descriptions – painting a vivid and clear picture
- Characters – introduction
- Characters – how to craft, present and understand them
- Dialogue – the art of saying it right
- Pace and Suspense – keep your reader wanting more
- Plot – building a great story and how to spot trouble areas
- After writing – the editing process
- After writing – how submissions in the agent/ publisher system works (and other options)
About the trainer:
Registration is on a first-come-first-served basis and workshop fees must be paid before the workshop. If the minimum number of participants is not met for the class, the organisers will inform all participants about possible postponement and cancellation, two weeks before the workshop date.
Cancellation & Substitution
The workshop can be cancelled or postponed two weeks before the workshop date if the minimum number of participants is not met. Participants will be fully refunded for workshops cancelled by us.
Participants who are unable to attend a workshop they have registered for are to inform us of the reason two weeks before the workshop date. They will be fully refunded in the event of extenuating and mitigating circumstances (E.g. illness, bereavement, accidents) . Those who inform us up to five (5) working days before the workshop date will receive a 50% refund. Participants can also attend another course at the same value within the same year.
Upon registration, you are deemed to have read and understood the cancellation, withdrawal and substitution policy and accept the terms contained therein.