The Young Adult (YA) Fiction 101: Fantasy workshop aims to help new and aspiring writers get up to speed with the essentials of writing fiction for the young adult market in the fantasy genre.
Major building blocks of the craft such as plot, dialogue, character, setting and pace will be explained by the facilitator in a full-day 6.5-hour workshop.
These areas will be actively explored via collaborative and solo exercises that accompany the notes in the workshop manual. The workshop will also introduce different subgenres of fantasy to participants.
The editing process, an invaluable skill often overlooked by new writers, will also be explored in this workshop, along with an explanation of how the submission process works in the agent/publisher system. Materials provided include the workshop manual and writing materials.
• Reduce participants’ anxiety about writing and build their confidence, whether they are novice writers or have some experience already
• Introduce the essentials of the skills needed to write fiction, including plot, character, setting, voice, perspective and dialogue
• Explain the basic elements and characteristics of young adult fiction and the fantasy genre, as well as the essential information of the agent/ publisher submission process
• Discuss and explore how these essential skills are used in young adult fiction in the fantasy genre
• Use collaborative learning and microfiction exercises to improve the participants’ skills and understanding of the various aspects of writing, paying particular attention to the writing elements that are vital in YA fantasy fiction
About the trainer:
Minimum – Maximum Number of Participants: 15 – 25 pax
Registration is on a first-come-first-served basis and workshop fees must be paid before the workshop. If the minimum number of participants is not met for the class, the organisers will inform all participants about possible postponement and cancellation, two weeks before the workshop date.
Cancellation & Substitution
The workshop can be cancelled or postponed two weeks before the workshop date if the minimum number of participants is not met. Participants will be fully refunded for workshops cancelled by us.
Participants who are unable to attend a workshop they have registered for are to inform us of the reason two weeks before the workshop date. They will be fully refunded in the event of extenuating and mitigating circumstances (E.g. illness, bereavement, accidents) . Those who inform us up to five (5) working days before the workshop date will receive a 50% refund. Participants can also attend another course at the same value within the same year.
Upon registration, you are deemed to have read and understood the cancellation, withdrawal and substitution policy and accept the terms contained therein.